Saturday, January 1, 2011

Meteor Detection Data Updated - 2010 Results

The high level data summary page has been updated for the remaining months in 2010, October, November and December. 

December was a record month with 79 Meteors detected! 

This is of course due to the relatively clear skies over Melbourne during the summer months. October was plagued with a cable problem when the polycarbonate roof was replaced and all cable were re-routed through conduit around the house. The main data cable was not plugged in for 8 days!

On the positive side, since the automated Microsoft updates was turned off in Windows 7 the system has not failed to boot once. Lots of experience was gained in 2010 so hopefully 2011 will lead to higher meteor counts and a smoother running remote Meteor Hunter observatory!


Happy New Year from Meteor Hunter!

4 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your site, I too am putting together a Meteor camera system. I notice you are running Windows 7 with UFO Capture. I am trying to do the same but having a hard time finding an appropriate capture card (my ACEDVio does not seem to work). Are you still using an old Sound Blaster?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neutronman, yes I am still using the FireWire (IEEE 1394a) port on my old PCI Sound Blaster Audigy card to plug my ADVC-55 DV Converter into. That's because the native firewire ports on my Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 (rev 2.0) motherboard just wouldn't work under Windows 7. That part of the system has been very reliable in that configuration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info. Last night I was finally able to get the ACEDVio card working with the Microsoft "legacy drivers" in Windows 7. I have tested with UFO Capture and it works fine -- whew!

    I was curious -- what are your detection settings for meteor capture? Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Neutronman, I finally got around to updating the 'System - Architecture' page to include screen shots of my UFOCapture setup. You can view all the settings there if you are still curious.

    ReplyDelete